Blogroll Me!

Lives in India/Chennai/Chennai, speaks English.
This is my blogchalk:
India, Chennai, Chennai, English.

A blog on what is happening in the .NET world in India.  

Anand's .NET WebLog


Home Archives Contact

Friday, November 01, 2002 :::
 

I know it has been a long time since I wrote anything.

I got started again because I was really thinking about what makes people go to technologies like Java or Linux etc. I know technology preferences are prevalent and some times people do have specific interests etc. But what is that sways those developers who do not have those strong preferences.

Then another thought struck me. Does 'open source' have an effect? I mean, there are millions of apps/controls etc for java/Linux out there available for free. Does this have a real impact on the acceptance of these technologies?

I had a chat with a friend of mine who works a lot on java. He was telling me, writing a program in java maybe more difficult that doing the same in VB, but there is a high chance that he could find a freeware/ code snippet that does what he want out there on the web.

This seems to make sense. VB was very successful as there were some many third part controls out there. (You had to pay for most of those…:-( )

Now I find an interesting thing happening. I find a lot of free .NET apps/components out there. I found that when I did a search on SourceForge for .NET I got almost 5 pages of result. Though some of those where stray results, most did do something with .NET.

I thought over the next few days I would post info on some of those cool .NET tools out there that I find interesting.

Till next time….:-)




::: posted by Anand at 6:53 PM

Comments: Post a Comment

 
Subscribe to Anand's .NET WebLog!


powered by Bloglet


Listed on Blogwise Listed on BlogShares Technorati Profile

Powered by Blogger